Yet another quick and easy piece of my cram-it-in-end-of-summer-sewing series. I don’t usually go for the boxy tunics or dresses from Burda, but there are just some days in summer when it is just so hot and miserable that the thought of wearing tightly fitted clothing is too much to bear. I made this last week, and ended up wearing it the next day because it was just so miserable outside.
The fabric was a remnant piece I bought from the Michael Levine Loft in LA – honestly I would be surprised if the fabric even cost me a dollar – it was a really small, very lightweight piece. There wasn’t going to be enough to do anything more complicated than a basic tank top, and I thought this would be the perfect pattern. I was barely able to squeeze it in – my fabric had a lot of holes, flaws, and weird end of bolt stitches running through it. Honestly, I was tempted to not get it, because it was pretty ratty, but it is so soft, and I love the colors. So I am sort of more proud of this than I should be – it wasn’t a great effort – but I essentially took a rag and made it into something wearable. I even dressed it up a bit with sequins on the straps!
|My new striped tank top!|
|Back of the top. The wavy stripe is actually a flaw in the fabric.
But for $0.50 I don’t really mind.
|The sequin straps are my favorite part!|
Here is my official pattern review:
Pattern Description: Tank top with gathered neckline and front slit.
Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 36-44. I made size 38 around the front shoulders, size 36 on the back neck, and size 40 everywhere else. These are my usual Burda sizes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? This is a really basic tank top, so yes. I didn’t really read them too in-depth, but even Burda couldn’t muddle these up too bad.
Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with it? Yes, for the most part it did. I made a few changes (see below) but it had the same overall shape and gathered neck effect.
What did you particularly like/dislike about this pattern? I like it because it is super easy! Seriously, made it in just over an hour, and most of that was fiddling with the neck binding and lining the trim I used to make the straps. I also like the neck gathers and that the pattern has you use a trim as the straps. Dislikes: The way Burda has you do the front/back neck bindings is fiddly. Next time I will add more allowance, then attach the strips with the serger and flip under to sew like I did on the armholes. Also, I think the cut might be just a bit too boxy on me. Granted, I made this because I wanted something with a slightly different shape than tops I already had, but I think I might take it in on the sides a bit if I made it again in the future.
Fabric Used: Striped jersey that I picked up in the Michael Levine Loft. This was a rather ratty scrap piece, but I loved the stripes, so I got it anyway. I am lucky I had enough fabric to quasi-match the stripes on the front and back. I actually had to cut the back a bit lower to avoid the holes and flaws in the fabric piece I had. But, well, it probably only cost me about $0.50 (if that much), so I guess I can’t complain too much. I also used some black sequin trim (1.5″ wide) for the straps.
Pattern alterations or design changes you made: I left off the slit in the front – I figured the top would be low enough as is, I didn’t need a hole down to my bellybutton (ok, it really wouldn’t have been that long, but the top has a super open neck as is, so I figured I was already going to be showing enough skin). I had to make the back neck lower than the pattern because of flaws in my fabric. I also cut a few extra strips of fabric to line the trim I used for the straps because I thought it could use the extra support and because the bottom was a bit scratchy when it was unlined. I also added about an inch of extra length to the bottom of the hem, but I usually need to have extra torso length on my tops.
Would you sew this again? Would you recommend it to others? I could see myself sewing another one of these in the future – maybe next summer. It was quick to make and I expect it will be pretty useful while the temperatures are warm. I would recommend this if you want a really basic, easy tank top that doesn’t require too much fitting. I will caution that is is very boxy and the neckline is quite open, but I think that is a selling point for extra hot summer days.
Conclusion: I really like my top! It was quick and easy to make, great to wear on hot days. I think the sequin straps are a fun detail – I might use that again on another top in the near future. I usually like to wear more fitted clothes, but this is the perfect thing for days when it is hot and humid. I expect it will get a lot of use in my wardrobe.
One top down! I have a few more easy knit tops coming up, so expect a few more reviews over the next few days. After that things might slow down a bit – I am finally feeling up to a more challenging project, so I will be working on some dresses and jackets as we start to head into fall. Though I am itching to make a nice fall skirt, so maybe I will knock out a few more quick and easy things before I get into muslin territory. Decisions, decisions. Hmmmm…..
4 thoughts on “Pattern Review: BS-05-2013-101”
What a great top! it fits you so nice, both color and pattern.
Lovely top and so cheap, you should be more proud of this then any others. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees
Now that's resourceful.