You guys – I sewed! I was getting over my cold/flu/energy draining thing and decided that I really needed to get some sewing done. Of course, I didn’t really have the energy to sew something I needed to be sewing… like working on skating costume patterns for my clients, finishing up half-done projects from last year, or getting a start on my project list for this year. I tried to work on the skating costumes for my tutorial… one (testing out a new pattern) was a bust, mainly because of the bust. Apparently I have an even more ridiculously high bust than I thought, since the overall pattern length was perfect, yet the neck practically dipped below my bust on the Kwik Sew pattern (2962) I was testing out. I got some work done on the other sample I was making (using my TNT), but I really had no energy or desire to put on and take off a spandex leotard more than once, so work stalled on that.
As I was lying in bed feeling sickly, I began pondering where I should store my latest fabric acquisitions, I thought, why not actually sew some of them? I mean, some of them are destined to be part of the skating stash, but I have been eyeing that striped teal knit since I got it. Because I like teal, and (apparently) I like stripes (before I started sewing I never wore stripes, but now it seems like one of my favorite fabric patterns to buy). I wanted to wear that fabric dang it! So I pondered my fabric and I pondered my pattern stash and I debated between a fitted top and an oversized drapey top and I ended up making one of each. Well, kind of.
My first thought was that I wanted something sort of oversized and slouchy to make use of the wide stripe. But, on the other hand, I didn’t want something too boxy – I mean, even in a clingy knit I don’t look good in shapeless garments. So after pondering things I settled on a Burda pattern from last November:
In the end it was just the sort of look I was going for – a nice oversized drape to the sleeves, but enough shaping to show off the fact that I have a waist. I am really pleased with how it turned out:
|Super easy top!|
|Only two pattern pieces – a front and a back.|
|The sleeves do open quite low on the sides…
definitely need to wear a cami under this top.
Here is my official pattern review:
Pattern Description: T-shirt pattern with oversized sleeves, v-neck, and fitted waist.
Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 34-42. I traced at 38 at the neck opening, a 40 for the shoulders through the waist, and graded out to a 42 at the hips. Typically I makes a size 40 Burda, but I have noticed that I tend to have gaping on the back of the neck, so I thought it would be good to try using a 38 neck opening and I have to say I think the fit is superb! I am going to have to use this trick more in the future.
Were the instructions easy to follow? I read them and they seem pretty good for Burda. I mean, there isn’t anything too complicated about this pattern, but since Burda made it in a mohair, they have a lot of instructions for hemming and seam finishes that I ignored. I basically made the whole thing on my serger, and did a narrow hem for all of the openings.
Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with it? Yes, pretty much. I added a bit of length (just because I like long tops) but other than that it looks pretty similar to the line drawing.
What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern? Likes: This is a very easy pattern to make! Only two pattern pieces to trace, only four seams to sew. I also like that while the sleeves give the top an oversized easy look, there is a nice fit to the waist area that prevents the top from being too baggy. Dislikes: Well, I don’t know if I would classify this as a “dislike” since it is part of the design of the pattern, but the sleeves are very low and open, so a tank is necessary underneath to prevent everyone from seeing any undergarments you might be wearing. It also makes it a bit more difficult to raise your arms, but since it is in a knit that really isn’t too much of an issue.
Fabric used: A mystery knit picked up from the National City Swap Meet. I think it is some sort of rayon blend? It is fairly lightweight and slightly slubby, but didn’t have any problems with stretching, rolling, or fraying, so I really enjoyed sewing with it.
Pattern alterations or designs changes you made: None, really. I added an extra two inches of length to the pattern because I prefer longer tops. I also used lazy narrow hems (ie I used my serger to finish the edge, then flipped it to the inside and stitched it down) instead of bias binding on the edges. Perhaps I should have used a binding, but I sort of want this to have a stretched out lazy look about it, so if it doesn’t stay pristine I think I might be ok with that.
Would you sew this again? Would you recommend it to others? Well, the oversized look usually isn’t my thing, and until I got this fabric I hadn’t even been considering this pattern. But I actually really like this top on me, so I think I might sew it again if the right fabric turned up. I would recommend this pattern to others – it is easy and well drafted – if they were looking for a top with this sort of dropped sleeve. I wouldn’t recommend this as a basic t-shirt pattern, but I think it is great for making layering pieces.
Conclusion: Surprisingly good pattern! It was one I hadn’t even considered when I first got this magazine, but it seemed right for my fabric. I am very pleased with the results and I think I will get a lot of use out of my quick and easy top.