At the beginning of the month I wrote about the demise of GLP News and posted about several options for the Burda desperate to check out if a lapse in the subscription service was simply not optional. It’s been a bit less than a month, yet I felt that an update was warranted.
First, I’d really like to thank all of the lovely readers of this blog who have offered so much advice and sympathy for what we are all going through. The sewing community really is the best community! There were some great tips, lots of thoughtful options, and even several people who offered to search for magazines for me and ship them to me! I am so humbled by everyone’s thoughtfulness and generosity. While I am happy to report that I just got my shipping confirmation for the June issue of BurdaStyle, I do have to thank everyone for their willingness to help out a sewing blogger who was going to suffer Burda withdrawal if an alternative solution hadn’t been found.
Secondly, I’d like to give a status update on some of the resources I’ve tried.
- So I went with the UK Newsstand option for Burda acquisition, and I am happy to report I have received a shipment notification for the June issue! (Update 6/4/19: It has arrived!) While this will obviously arrive several weeks later than I would have gotten with the GLP delivery, better late than never! This isn’t really much of an inconvenience anyway, and I’m just happy knowing I will get my June issue! At least, if the postal service does its job. I’m turning to UK Newsstand for a longer-term subscription until the US distribution is fully sorted out (see more on this below).
- Amazon has proven to be an unwise choice, and I do NOT recommend this option, as I’ve had no communication from them about the start date of the subscription, yet haven’t been allowed to cancel it. If we get past the start date of the delivery I’ll go on a Customer Service phone call adventure and see what I can do, but until then I’m willing to wait.
- I’ve tried an order with the French site to put in an order for the Fall Burda Easy magazine. I will report back if this works out.
- I was able to dispute my charges for the GLP subscription to BurdaEasy magazine with my credit card company, as I placed the order just days before GLP folded. I did have to provide documentation (I took a screenshot of the GLP website), but it was a mostly painless process.
- One reader reported that Around the World bookstore in NYC has closed. Their website appears to be still functioning, but I am not sure I would trust that site as a means of ordering the magazine if the store is closed.
Thirdly, I’m happy to say that Lynn from You sew, girl!, who’s Instagram post first alerted me to this issue, messaged me to let me know that she has been poking about and discovered that Roltek will be the new distributor in the place of GLP. So it looks like we will be getting magazines from the same source as our Canadian friends! Apparently there will be notifications sent out in a few weeks, and the subscriptions will hopefully resume at that time. It likely means that there will be a few months of interruption (so if you really want the June issue I’d recommend ordering it from another source), but hopefully things will return to normal sooner rather than later. (Update: The Twilight Stitcher has reached out and informed me that Roltek stated they would be up and running in a few weeks. Remains to be seen if that will be in time for the July issue to get sent out, but hopefully this means normal subscription services will resume in time for the August issue…)
For now, that’s where things are. I’m happy I ordered the June issue from UK Newsstand, but I think I perhaps over-reacted when I decided I wanted to explore other sources like Amazon and France. But, I’m chalking this up to being an experiment, so that you, my lovely readers, can know what the best option is for acquiring Burda in this challenging time. Of course, by the time I get more information it is possible Roltek will start up operations and it will have been much ado about nothing. Only time will tell, but I will report back with future status updates are more information becomes available. In the meantime, I’ll be eagerly awaiting the July Burda sneak peaks that should start popping up in the next week!