It’s that time of year again…
The time of year when most sewing bloggers are participating in Me Made May.
The time of year when most sewing bloggers are making lovely, bright spring looks.
The time of year when cosplayers start debuting new looks for the major summer cons.
That time of year when the schizophrenic weather makes me want to sew all the things.
That time of year when I’m drowning in skating costumes.
Yes, I have a *lot* of sewing to do, and I tend not to document a lot of it, because I still feel weird showing off things that don’t really belong to me. I tend to go pretty radio silent from May-July, fall really behind in blog reading, and generally fall off the map. This year isn’t shaping up to be much different. I’ll try to keep up with pattern releases and any small bits of self sewing I can get in on the blog, but for the most part that’s going to be fairly non-existent for the next few months. So, I figured now would be a good time to take stock of where things stand before I go MIA for a bit.
- Today is my 9 year sewiversary! I ordered my first sewing machine from Amazon May 1, 2009. It’s been a crazy journey, but I’m so glad I stuck with it. Even if this hobby has taken up vast amounts of space and time and money, I really enjoy it. I’m not doing MMM this year, but, I think, maybe next year to celebrate my 10th anniversary would be a fun reason to try it.
- The next major sewing skill I’m working on is learning to digitize embroidery designs. There is a lot to learn, but I’m having fun with the artistic aspect of it all. I’ll write a lot more about this later as I’ve got definite thoughts on the process.
- My other technique goal: learning to use an air brush machine for costuming! I think it could produce some really great results, and I was gifted a compressor, so I’m partially ready to go.
- My Sew Geeky Spring challenge has been really fun, and the Summer plans will be going up later this month. Even if I can’t sew things for myself at the moment, I can still think about them. I’ve still got 4 Spring items I *really* want to make, so don’t be surprised if these show up a little after the deadline. Also, summer sewing probably won’t really happen until August. C’est la vie.
- I’ve got a ton of backlogged blog posts that I want to finish writing. They are all a bit research intensive, hence their not having been finished, but they are still in the works. So, hopefully, I’ll be quite prolific by the end of summer.
- I’m going to Costume-Con 36 this month! I don’t have costumes to wear (or time to make any), but I hope it’ll still be fun. I want to try to take some of the workshops being offered.
- I was on a podcast! My friends at the Geek Say What Network asked me to be on a podcast talking all about Cosplay. We scratch the surface on topics in the community and why it’s such a great hobby.
And I think that’s about it for me right now. Lot’s going on, plus my real life job is sort of going nuts right now. Things are going to be intense for the next few months as I scramble to get things done, so the blog will have to be a bit on the back burner. I’ll try my best to keep up on social media and read other blogs when I can, but for the moment I’ve got lots of sewing to do, so my personal projects are going to have to go on a bit of a pause.
8 thoughts on “That Time of Year – 2018 Edition”
Stay sane! 🙂 Hopefully you can get some personal sewing done while life is crazy.
I’ve always loved that pieced Burda dress (circa 2012?) and hope you sew it!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I think it’s September 2010? I’ve had fabric for it since I got the issue off EBay *coughover5yearsagocough* so I really want to make it this year.
Have a nice time, and thanks for all the hard work you do for us 🙂
I look forward to your future posts.
I admire your time management skills and just don’t know how you get everything done, including a full time job! Wow
It’s more of an extensive part time job, but yeah it’s really nuts right now.
You certainly don’t twiddle your thumbs… :-p … Have fun! I really enjoy your preview posts and really look forward to future ones! (that cold shoulder embroidered top is on my to-sew list too! eventually.)
LikeLiked by 1 person
Congratulations on nine years!
LikeLiked by 2 people