So I’ve jumped straight into the Wardrobe Sudoku Contest, and my first few items are already sewn! It seemed like most people were planning to make the more complicated items first, while they still have motivation and energy, but I’m going at it from the opposite direction. I figure that if I can finish the 4 tops and most basic bottom (the skirt) in the first week, I should have a week each to finish the other 3 bottoms, and a little over a week for each of the accessory items (jackets) that will take more time. Going about it this way means that I should max out on new wardrobe items even if I don’t manage to finish all 10 items for the Sudoku contest. Though, hopefully, being close to the finish line should help push me through when I get to the end. I hope. Anyway, here is my first item, Burda 6630:
I thought this top would be a great way to mix fabrics and elevate a simple knit top with use of a fun contrast fabric.
Here is my official pattern review:
Pattern Description: Knit top with sleeve contrast and 3 variations. I made a combination of view A (the v-neck) and view B (the mid-length sleeves).
Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 34-44. I made a size 42, grading out to a 44 at the hips and upper arms. I normally make a size 40, but it has been a while since I’ve sewn tops (or anything, really) for myself. And I know that I’ve changed sizes a bit since the last time I’ve done a lot of sewing, so I made the fatal error of measuring myself and thinking that even a 42 might be tight. I even used a high bust measurement, which, combined with the fact that my fabric wasn’t super stretchy, was what convinced me to try a larger size. Really though, I should have made a 40 with an FBA, because while certain regions may have, um, expanded in the past few years, my shoulders are not one of them. This is just a case of live and learn I guess?
Were the instructions easy to follow? Super easy. I didn’t really need them, but they would have been great for a new sewer. The neck binding instructions were awesome. The great thing about the Burda envelope patterns is the illustrated instructions. And the easy to see pattern pieces. And the seam allowance. And the consistent Burda fit. But the instructions are a definite win.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the envelope once you were done with it? Yes, I think so. I do want to point out that if you look at the line drawing, the front hem is a bit longer and curved, and the back hem is a bit shorter and straight across. This is definitely how the pattern is drafted. It isn’t a problem, but I do want to point it out in case the uneven front hem throws anyone for a loop. My only complaint is that I thought the sleeves were a bit long when I was finished. But then I looked at the photos and realized that the models had the sleeves pushed up, so they are probably the correct length. I’m debating shortening them more – they are sort of awkwardly between 3/4 and full length, and I was really aiming for a 3/4 length sleeve, but otherwise it is very much like the garment photo. If I’d made the full length sleeve I probably would have liked the extra length.
What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern? Likes: I like the raglan style with the contrast sleeve detail. I liked the instructions, and how easy it was to put together. Dislikes: The neck feels a bit open/low for my personal preference, but that is partly because I should have gone down a size on the shoulders. I should have also made a straight view B, with the scoop neck, as that would provide a bit more coverage. As is, it is wearable, but definitely not a top to be doing a lot of bending over in. I also felt that the mid-length sleeve was a bit long, but otherwise I have no complaints. Most complaints are really user error, as the pattern itself is really great.
Fabric used: I used a poly/cotton knit jersey from fabric.com for the main fabric, and a stretch lace from Jo-Ann Fabrics for shoulder contrast detail.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: No changes. I just combined the neck from view A with the sleeves from view B. And I constructed everything on the serger/overlocker instead of using a sewing machine with twin needles.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This will definitely be on my make-again list. Next time I will use the other neckline, and possibly do a full length or short sleeve version. It is a great top, and I can already tell it is going to see a lot of use in the rotation. I definitely recommend this pattern to others! My only word of caution is that if you like to be a bit more modest, use the neckline from view B/C, as the v-neck from view A is pretty deep.
Conclusion: Love it! This is a great start to my Wardrobe Sudoku plans, and a great top to include in my wardrobe. The colors are great, and I love the way the fabrics work together. In the future I will modify my design choices, but overall I’m really pleased with this top and I can’t wait to make the other coordinating wardrobe items to go with it!