The end of the year will soon be upon us, which means I’m going to start my week of retrospective posts. This year I read a lot of fairly enjoyable books, a fair number of classics, and quite a few books from long-running series I’ve been following. Here’s a look back at my year in books:
Number of Books Read: 47
Favorite Book: Heart in a Box by Kelly Thompson and Meredith McClaren
Favorite Sword & Laser Pick: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Honorable Mentions: Lost Stars, Shadows of Self, Star Wars: A New Dawn, Perfect State
From last year my reading goals were:
(1) Continue to read the Sword & Laser picks. I think I won’t be quite so dedicated as this year, but I’ve had a lot of fun reading the books and going to the local meetings, so I think I would like to keep up with that next year.
– CHECK! I managed to read all the S&L books (though not always by the meeting date) and attend most of our local meetings this year.
(2) Finish my half-read books. I have a lot of them. I would like to get my “Currently Reading” list down to 3-6 books instead of the 12-14 I have now. Granted, 3 of them are cookbooks, so they don’t really count, but, well, I should actually read the introductions so I can mark them off as “read” at some point. Also, it would just make my soul lighter to say I’ve finished the Silmarillion.
– BOO. I think I’ve managed to add more to the half-read list instead of reduce it. The Silmarillion continues to be my white whale.
(3) Read more sewing books, especially vintage sewing books.
– NOPE. I’ve read very few sewing books this year, and only when I was looking for specific techniques or tutorials.
(4) Read at least 2 science non-fiction books next year.
– FAIL. I read two non-fiction books, but neither of them were science related.
(5) There are a lot of science fiction stories coming to television/movies/web series in the next year. I would like to read as many of them as possible before the tv shows come out. They are including, but not limited to: The Shanara Trilogy, Childhood’s End, Ringworld, Leviathan Wakes, Old Man’s War, The Man in the Highcastle, Dragonriders of Pern, A Wrinkle in Time, the Outlander series (currently running on Starz), and Asimov’s Foundation series. I’ve already managed to read Redshirts and The Magicians.
– PARTIAL YAY! I read Childhood’s End, Old Man’s War, The Man in the High Castle, and started Leviathan Wakes. Overall I’m giving this effort a thumbs up.
For next year I think my goals will be focused on the areas I felt I didn’t succeed in this year.
(1) Write a book review right away after finishing the book! This year I read a lot of books, but I was very lax in posting reviews for them. This is partially because in the beginning of the year I wasn’t sure what I was doing with my blog, then, once I decided I was moving platforms I spent more time working on the blog format than writing posts for it, and, finally, because I had to read many of these books on a deadline, when it came down to it I had to choose between reading and writing, and reading won out. Next year I hope that I can be more timely with my posts and book reviews.
(2) Reduce my Currently Reading List to 6 books OR read The Silmarillion. Seriously, you guys, I’ve been reading that book for like 2 years. I need to finish it.
(3) Read at least 1 non-fiction science book or history book from my pile. I have so many. It shouldn’t be that hard. It just keeps getting put off.
(4) Read at least 1 sewing book. Again, I have so many! I at least want to familiarize myself with their contents so I have a better idea of which books I should use for which techniques. Perhaps even have a book/technique experimental research project happening all year? I don’t really have time for that, but it sounds like a cool idea.
(5) Continue my efforts to stay culturally relevant. This means reading The Shanara Trilogy, Ringworld, more of The Expanse series, Dragonriders of Pern, A Wrinkle in Time, the Outlander series (currently running on Starz), and Asimov’s Foundation series, Gateway, American Gods, and Hyperion. Possibly also reading more of The Magicians series. I also need to get caught up on the “new cannon” of Star Wars.
(6) Keep up with Sword and Laser. I’ve found some great new books (as well as some not so great new books) these past few year through this book club, so I expect I’ll keep up with their reading list.
On the whole I’m pretty happy with the number and variety of books I’ve read. Hopefully I can stick to next year’s goals and diversify the genre and content of my reading list a bit more.