I think this will be the last top for my summer binge sewing that I have been doing recently. I had agreed to make my sister a top from the July 2009 Burda, and while I was looking through the issue this top caught my eye:
It was a pattern I had ignored initially, but I thought it looked really cute when I was flipping through the magazine. And I had a very small knit remnant from the Michael Levine Loft that I thought would be perfect for this. It was a tiny piece of fabric, but I loved the colors and I figured I would find some way to use it. I had barely enough to make this top, but in the end I am really happy with it.
|Another easy summer top.|
|Back of the top – it is a halter style with a neck tie.|
|Close up – I kept the front ties from the original pattern.|
|I changed the back so it wasn’t a wrap style.|
Here is my official Pattern Review:
Pattern Description: Tank top with neck tie, and overlapping back with front ties.
Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 34-42. I made a size 40, but I used a size 38 at the neck.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Well, I made some considerable alterations to this pattern, so I really didn’t use them. When I glanced over them they seemed fine though.
Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with them? The front looked like the photo and like drawing, but I changed the back, so that is a bit different. But the pattern came out great and looks like the pictures.
What did you particularly like/dislike about this pattern? Likes: The style is cute and surprisingly flattering. The neck tie makes it easy to adjust so that it fits comfortably. Dislikes: I wasn’t a fan of how the back was a wrap or how low it went, so I decided to alter the pattern a bit so it was a top with side seams and no wrap.
Fabric used: Striped ITY knit that I got as a remnant piece from the Michael Levine Loft. I had less than a yard, so I had barely enough to make this top, but it was another thrifty buy (again, probably less than $1 for the fabric) so I am happy I was able to make something out of it.
Pattern alterations or changes you made: I made the back a normal back but tracing only half of the back pattern piece then cutting it on a fold. I caught the front ties in the side seam since they wouldn’t be needed to hold the wrap back in place. I also made the back higher so it was even across the back rather than dipping as low as the line drawing shows. I added some 1/4″ elastic to the top of the back to help it stay in place and not sag down the body. Otherwise I made the pattern as instructed.
Would you sew this again? Would you recommend it to others? I might sew another one of these, since I really like the way it turned out, though I think one halter style top like this is probably good enough for now. I like the style, and I definitely think the alterations I made make it more wearable as compared to the original version from Burda. I would recommend this pattern, especially for summer or a trip to the beach, though the style does make it a bit more difficult to wear a bra with it. Something to consider if you make it, but the pattern itself is great so I highly recommend it.
Conclusion: Great pattern! I am really happy with the way this top turned out and I expect it will get a lot of use next summer when it heats up again. Now I just need to make some shorts to go with it. Though that might be a project for next year.
3 thoughts on “Pattern Review: BS-07-2009-124A”
Super cute top. Love the changes you made.
This was the first Burda pattern I ever sewed and I still wear the top. I think you were wise to alter the back since my one complaint is that I have to pin it to my bra or it droops, letting my bra peek out. To do over, I would also make it longer.
Yours, on the other hand, looks perfect!! And blue really is your color!