This weekend I have been doing a lot of (ugly) skating muslins in leftover floral print lycra, the utter hideousness of which would render my lovely readers blind, I am sure. And I have been toying with some gloves, but they are too tight and my fingers are too long, so I might post a picture of muslin number two next week. In the meantime I won’t bother you with my fretting over sleeve seams, or design dilemas as I plan out my skating costumes for the summer.
I did, however make another practice dress, this one out of a tie-dye blue/purple glitter stretch velvet. The debate over the inherent tackiness of tie-dye glitter stretch velvet is left as an exercise to the readers, but in any case, I have been experimenting with skirt styles, and while I like this one-piece dress for practice, I have decided I won’t be using this style for my competition dresses this year. In any case, here is my new dress:
I have a textured velvet I want to use later, so I didn’t really want too interrupt the pattern, but I feel like this style of dress makes the skirt too static in the front – it doesn’t have any nice flow or drape. So I am still pondering my options.
In the meantime, I almost for sure will have some paying clients for skating costumes! Which is really cool because that means 100% guilt-free fabric shopping! I don’t know if I will be able to post any pictures of the finished dresses, since they aren’t for me, and I don’t know how much non-skating-all-for-me-sewing will happen in the meantime. So, there might be a lot of skating costume posts for the next few weeks at least, but I am sure I will find other sewing things to blather on about as well…