Ok, I figure it is about time to post my finished skating costumes from this year – I started working on these at the end of March, and finished everything at the end of July. I won’t be posting a lot of the outfits I sewed, since a majority of them were for other people, but I can at least show off the costumes I made for me! Since these outfits took about four months of sewing time, I figured I would milk them for as many posts as I could, so expect to see a lot of skating costumes over the next few days.
I thought I would start off with my figure dress for this year. I wanted to go for a really classic look – the skating equivalent of a LBD – but I used a textured stretch velvet to hopefully keep it from being too boring. While the execution is not 100% where I wanted it to be, and it took me several tries to get s dress I was happy with, I eventually ended up with a great dress. It is super comfortable and easy to wear, and I really love it.
|My figure dress at nationals.|
|I wore it for two of my events.|
|Here is a picture of the back.|
|A close-up detail of the beading. (Photo courtesy of my sister)|
I wish the texture of the fabric was easier to photograph – it is a nice textured velvet that has a silvery sheen and creates a wavy diamond pattern. I have had it in my stash for a few years, and it finally felt like the right time to use it. I used the velvet for the main body and the skirt, a thin lycra for lining, and illusion mesh for the neck and sleeves. I used plain Swarovski sew-on rivoli crystals on the neckline, and glue-on Czech Preciosa stones in plain crystal (30ss and 20ss sizes) to create the bands. I used Preciosa hematite stones to fill in the spaces between the large stones.
So, that’s my figure dress! I wanted something simple, elegant, and classic. It ended up looking pretty much the way I wanted, and I really enjoyed wearing it. Overall I am very pleased with this dress, and I hope to wear it a lot in the coming year.